VIN Number Generator:
Code 39 is widely used in a variety of industries and is part of of many governmental specifications. It encodes a set of alphanumeric symbols.
- Character Set: 0-9, A-Z, -, +, space, *, $, /, %, .
- Length: Variable (unlimited)
- Category: Industrial, Government, Postal, Medical, Most popular
QR Code is probably the most well-known two-dimensional barcode. It is often found on products or used in advertising to provide additional information for consumers.
- Character Set: ASCII
- Length: Variable (7089)
- Category: Advertising, Most popular
Data Matrix is a two-dimensional Code that may contain text, numbers or binary data. It is widely used for labeling small electronic components or in food production, but also on mail labels.
- Character Set: ASCII, 1 - 255
- Length: Variable (3116)
- Category: Industry, Marketing, Post, Electronics, Medical, Most popular
What is Laser Appraiser?
Laser Appraiser is the original, most comprehensive and affordable vehicle appraisal and automobile valuation solution available for used car dealerships and wholesalers.
On the desktop, the powerful Laser Appraiser Dealer Studio brings big data and statistical analysis to dealer purchases, providing insight on when to buy, where to price, and when to sell each vehicle acquisition.
Live auto auction integration from the most popular car auction providers enables early-access to the run numbers and lanes containing the best deals.
What type of barcode is a VIN?
Historically, the standard Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) embedded within a barcode and attached to a car has been represented by the Code 39 symbology. The Uniform Symbology Specification Code 39 (USS Code 39) is used for vehicle identification, and while based on Code 39, it does not contain start and stop characters.
Automotive manufacturers are now utilizing two-dimensional barcodes to represent VINs on their automobiles. For example, General Motors (GM) now utilizes the Data Matrix barcode symbology to represent the VIN on some models. Ford uses a QR Code for marketing on their window stickers. Automotive auction houses utilize the one-dimensional Code 128 barcode type VIN representations for cars in their auction runlists.
Some US Federal labels and State vehicle registration documents store VINs within PDF417 barcodes since data capacity and space efficiency are two of its major advantages. There are also security features that can be used with PDF417.
What is a car VIN barcode format? What is each digit in a VIN?
A Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is a 17-digit code, comprised of numbers and uppercase letters that provides specific information about a vehicle including the year, make, model, engine size, and manufacturer, and more.
What Information does a VIN contain?
VIN information is sectioned out into three groups: World Manufacturer Identifier, Vehicle Descriptor Section, and the Vehicle Identifier Section.
World Manufacturer Identifier
The World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI) represent the first three digits of an automotive VIN:
- The first digit defines the country of origin or the final point of vehicle assembly;
- The second digit represents the manufacturer and the region of vehicle production;
- The third digit, when coupled with the first two digits, indicates the vehicle’s type or manufacturing division.
Vehicle Descriptor Section
Digits in position 4 through 9 make up the Vehicle Description Section (VDS):
- The fourth through eighth digits describe a vehicle’s model, body type, restraint system, transmission type, and engine code;
- The ninth digit is the check digit, which is used to detect fraudulent VINs. The number that appears in the ninth position varies and is based on a mathematical formula developed by the U.S. Department of Transportation.
Vehicle Identifier Section
Digits in position 10 through 17 make up the Vehicle Identifier Section (VIS):
- The tenth digit indicates the year, which only applies to vehicles built in or after 1981 since the VIN format was not standardized until that year;
- The eleventh digit indicates which manufacturing plant your vehicle was assembled at;
- The twelfth through seventeenth digits are the unique production serial number your vehicle receives on the assembly line..
Vin to Year Table
Why is a VIN 18 digits?
Sometimes a VIN barcode has a leading “I” that extends the decoded result length to 18 digits. According to the regulation, the letters O (o), I (i), and Q (q) are illegal VIN characters to avoid confusion with numerals 0, 1, and 9. But a leading “I” actually represents an “import” to identify imported vehicles.
How do I scan a VIN code?
Any automotive dealer or wholesale business with a Laser Appraiser subscription may utilize the powerful Laser Appraiser VIN Scanner for iPhone and Android to quickly and easily scan a VIN, delivering a mobile vehicle appraisal and valuation, with live, critical auction and valuation data.