Things Consumers Do Before Purchasing a Used Car
Purchasing a car can be a major life decision – when buying a car, consumers are making a commitment that this vehicle is the right fit for their lifestyle for the years to come. It is quite the financial commitment as well. That being said, there are several things that consumers do before they even start shopping for used cars that can make the process less daunting. As the owner of a used car dealership, it would be good to know what information consumers walk into your store with, so that you can be better prepared to match them with their dream car! Here are some of the common tips that consumers use before they start shopping around:
- Getting pre-approved for a loan. Consumers want to know what they can afford and what interest rates they can qualify for. Having a budget narrows down the range of cars that they can afford. This also helps employees at the dealership tremendously – now you have a better understanding of what kinds of cars you can show them;
- Knowing their credit score. Credit can play a huge role in what purchasing decisions you can make. Consumers will probably know their credit score and the implications of it when they walk through your doors;
- Making a check-list of what they need in a car. Consumers may walk into your store with a physical or mental checklist of what they are looking for in a car already. Instead of trying to sway their opinion on what they are looking for, try to conform to what they already want (if possible). Ask them what sort of requirements they have in mind before starting to show them some new cars, so that consumers feel like you aren’t wasting their time showing them cars that they aren’t interest in;
- Considering buying from less popular, but still reliable manufacturers. Tips that consumers may see around the Internet include buying less popular cars in order to save money. This is helpful for those of us working at a used car dealership – tips like these may be what get consumers to look at our inventory! As a salesperson, don’t be afraid to show the cars that aren’t as flashy or loud. Sometimes, consumers are just looking for reliability, and that’s what you are there to provide;
- Writing a pros and cons list about cars they are considering. Consumers may be taking notes on the cars that they see online or in-person. You can use the notes that they take to help guide them towards a car that would be the right fit for them!
The best advice is to keep great notes. Then review them the next time the shopper returns or calls. Laser Appraiser Desktop tracks your customers with you. Call 888-752-7372 to start a free demonstration today!